Join a team with a passion for their mission. We are looking for a motivated, self-starter with a strong interest in ecological landscaping.
The ideal candidate will be willing to perform moderate to strenuous physical tasks on a daily basis, use a chain saw and be able to drive a truck with trailer.
This position will assist in the maintenance of native plant landscapes throughout the greater Lehigh Valley (mostly residential). The position is hourly, seasonal (March-November).
The position is for 40 hours of work per week from March through November and occasional hours December through February. We are looking for a candidate who is willing to return each year for the March through November period. Unemployment compensation for the off-season is available.
Position will include general gardening work and labor such as weeding, watering, loading, moving and unloading wheelbarrows of mulch, loading and unloading plants, digging plants from ground, and installing container and B&B material, pruning of trees and shrubs.
This is an outdoor position, and candidate must be willing to work outdoors in rain, cold, and summer heat. The employee must regularly lift items up to 50 pounds (bags of mulch and container and B&B plants).
If you enjoy physical work and a team approach to completing goals and tasks, this job is for you.
Edge of the Woods offers a friendly workplace where teamwork and learning are part of our everyday process. After one year of employment, full and part time employees receive paid vacation, and full-time employees are eligible for a 401(K) plan. Health insurance is offered.
Detailed Job Description Follows:
Job Title:Landscape Assistant Reports To:Landscape Supervisor
Assist Landscape Supervisor as needed to ensure the landscape job is completed as specified with a high level of quality and attention to detail.
Job Description, Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with new installations and maintenance of gardens by performing horticultural activities including but not limited to pruning, weeding, plant removal, planting, mulching, watering.*
- Utilize equipment and tools proficiently and according to company safety policy. Including but not limited to: Chain saw, pruning shears, weed whacker, leaf blower, brush cutter, tiller, tractors, skid loader, sod cutter, dump trailer, power tools, hand tools.*
- Ensure all tools and equipment needed for jobs are in good working order, are loaded and returned to the nursery. *
- Sort, contain and remove debris.*
- Assist with site set up of plant materials, including loading and unloading.*
- Maintain a clean and organized job site staging area.*
- In writing and verbally, must be able to communicate clearly, present information and respond to questions effectively and respectfully with team members, clients and customers. *
- Ability to write and interpret reports, business correspondence, procedure manuals and pesticide labels.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, be able to bend, crouch, kneel, push, pull, stoop, shovel. Maneuver/install/remove large plant material, haul and load debris by hand, push wheelbarrows, grub out roots/plants with maddock/pickaxe, withstand extended periods of physical labor. *
- Must be able to perform essential functions under a variety of weather and work conditions. We are regularly exposed to wet, rainy, humid, hot, cold and changeable environmental conditions. Work safely and in regard of others’ safety near moving mechanical parts, loud machinery and equipment. *
- Knowledge and/or interest in basic plant identification is helpful but not required.
- Other duties may be assigned as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Associate’s degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Salary: $10.00 to $15.00 /hour