What type of plants will you find at Edge of the Woods Native Plant Nursery?
We are a retail nursery, specialized in growing species that are native to Pennsylvania and the surrounding Mid-Atlantic eco-region. Our inventory may include straight-species (wild-type) and cultivated varieties of our native plants. All of our plants are nursery-propagated and are never collected from the wild. We use various propagation methods at the nursery, and prioritize seed-grown plants to encourage genetic diversity.
We regularly have over 250 native varieties of:
- Herbaceous Plants
- Flowering perennials
- Grasses and Sedges
- Aquatic and Bog plants
- Woody Plants
Our Plant List
- Click here for a list of plants we usually carry. This list is plants we try to have. It IS NOT A LIST of plants currently in stock.
- Click here for our most recent availability. This lists the plants on the property at the time of our last inventory. Actual availability changes hourly as people shop. The list is updated weekly.
Our availability changes everyday and it is impossible to keep our list 100% accurate at all times. Even if the plant you want is currently listed as available, it is always best to email us (email@example.com) or call us (610.395.2570) to make sure it is still available.
What sizes plants will you find at Edge of the Woods Native Plant Nursery, and how much do they cost?
Our plant size is determined by pot size. We may have any species available in one or multiple sizes. You can see our various pot sizes by clicking HERE.
- Herbaceous plants are usually available in pots ranging from 4 inches to 10 inches diameter (~1 pint to ~3 gallon volume).
- The average size of an herbaceous plant is a 7 to 8 inch diameter pot (~1 gallon volume). Prices vary, but are generally between $9 and $15.
- Native Plant Starter Kits
- We offer custom-assembled perennial garden kits suited to your specific needs. You can find information on these kits HERE.
- Woody plants are usually available in pots ranging from 7 to 16 inches diameter (~1 t0 ~1o gallon volume).
- The average size of woody plants is a 8 to 10 inch diameter pot (2 to 3 gallons volume). Prices of these species vary, but generally between $25 and $99.
- Some species may also be available as bare-root plants, which are freshly dug and dormant. Usually, bare-root plants are only available in early spring.
- We may also offer young woody plants in tublings. Tublings are tall, narrow pots used to start woody plants by encouraging long, healthy roots.
- Large shrubs and trees are sometimes available as “bagged and burlapped” (B&B) specimens. We suggest stopping at the nursery and examining large plants of interest before committing to buying to be sure you are able to transport and handle them. Or you may consider our delivery and instillation services. You can learn more about our landscape services by clicking HERE.
Right Plant, Right Place
- Our stance on plant success is built upon our “Right Plant, Right Place” philosophy
- This philosophy states that any plant can only succeed if it planted in the appropriate site. Every species has different needs, and careful attention should be paid to these needs to be sure your garden can satisfy them.
- We are unable to guarantee plants (unless our landscape services crew plants them).
- When we plant for you, if a specimen does not thrive, we will consider the site conditions and suggest a replacement.
- We only sell plants that we consider healthy, vigorous, and likely to succeed in the appropriate landscape.
Learn more about native plants at our nursery and on our website!
We are a shop-in retail nursery with a physical site and knowledgeable staff dedicated to helping you learn about native plants. At Edge of the Woods Native Plant Nursery you will find:
- Our nursery is laid out to help you make the best plant selections
- All of our inventory has detailed signage sharing details on the cultural needs and characteristics of each species.
- There are numerous display gardens, including a meadow, and mature specimen plants on the property to give customers ideas on how to use native plants in their own landscape.
- We offer nursery tours, talks, presentations, and workshops throughout the season to offer fun and educational opportunities for our customers.
- We have created numerous lists based on varying criteria to help in plant selection.
- Printed copies of these lists are available to borrow while you shop, or use your smartphone and click HERE to view digital copies of these lists when you visit (or at home as you plan your trip).
- For more online plant selection resources, plant selection databases and more, check out some of the links HERE .
Information on the Species We Carry
The links below will provide exact copies of the informational signs we post with each species at the nursery. Many of our customers find it helpful to review requirements for plants they have purchased or are considering to purchase.